Priscilla,

A native VLAN is the VLAN that a port functions under when its not trunking.
When the switch comes online one of the things it does is perform any
negotiations for trunking. In order to negotiate the two ports need to be
able to communicate at layer 2. If the ports at either end of the proposed
trunk link belong to different native VLANs then they won't be able to
communicate to negotiate the trunking. Negotiations can fail for other
reasons though too, such as when trunking itself is misconfigured. Anyway,
if negotiations fail or if trunking goes down for some reason, then the
ports revert to their native VLANs. The default native VLAN of a Cisco
switch is VLAN 1. Other vendors have been known to use VLAN 100.

HTH,
        Karen

On 7/23/2001 at 3:04 PM Priscilla Oppenheimer wrote:

>At 08:53 AM 7/23/01, Remmert Veen wrote:
>>Hi Sammi,
>>
>>Indeed, ISL is Cisco propietary, so should you consider other vendor's
>>switches in your network, now or in the future, I'd recommend 802.1q.
Beware