From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of
Remmert Veen
Sent: Monday, July 23, 2001 8:53 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: VLAN: ISL or 802.1Q? [7:13325]

Hi Sammi,

Indeed, ISL is Cisco propietary, so should you consider other vendor's
switches in your network, now or in the future, I'd recommend 802.1q. Beware
however, dot1q has some drwabacks with regards to loops. Check out
http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/c2900xl/29_35wc/sc/swgvl
ans.htm#xtocid1196639 for the details.

If not (so your network is all Cisco) you might wanna consider ISL. Since it
is Cisco propietary, it's obviously fully supported by Cisco and has some
minor benefits.

Hth,
Remmert