From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of
Priscilla Oppenheimer
Sent: Tuesday, July 24, 2001 6:43 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: Cable modems & 2501s?? [7:13626]

If your router only has one Ethernet port and you already used that one
Ethernet port to connect back-to-back to your cable modem, then you can't
also connect your router to an Ethernet hub.

You could connect the router and the cable modem to a hub instead of
connecting them back-to-back, but I have the sense that that doesn't
accomplish what you want to accomplish.

You could get yourself another 2501 router and connect the two routers
using a WAN cross-over cable and the serial ports and then use the Ethernet
port of the second router. Now we're really getting into some Rube Goldberg
solutions though.

Probably the best bet is replace the router with a router that has two
Ethernet ports. If your network design calls for two Ethernet LANs, then
you need a router with two Ethernet ports. Sorry if I'm stating the
obvious!?

Priscilla

Priscilla Oppenheimer
http://www.priscilla.com