The first part of this message is not really a study question, but more like
a curiosity question.

With DSL being very popular and Cisco having changed their CCNA/CCNP exams
not too long ago - why isn't there anything about DSl on the exams at all?

I know that DSL is still not considered as reliable as dedicated lines,
frame relay, etc., but for SOHO users, it is perfect when available and when
the provider is not going belly up within 4 months.

Any comments to this are very welcome.

The second part is totally off topic, but goes with the DSL issue.

I got ADSL with Southwestern Bell installed 8-9 months ago, and it has been
very reliable, plus the speed has been up to 2.2 mbps in download, which is
a good deal more than T1.

However, I do not understand the technique behind DSL yet, so I am not sure
what's going on. The DSL router is connected to my phoneline, and it has an
ATM led on the front. Does that mean it actually works on an ATM network?

Also, Since I have the router on a public IP address, why is it not
configured to give me a private address for my LAN (the cable that goes from
the router to the NIC in my PC) instead of another public IP address?

And last, what about the EnterNet and PPPoE, what exactly is that, and
couldn't I use something else?

I am sorry for these questions which might seem stupid to DSL experts, but I
am a beginner when it comes down to DSL.

Thanks for any comments, and have a nice day...

Ole

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 Ole Drews Jensen
 Systems Network Manager