> With DSL being very popular and Cisco having changed their CCNA/CCNP exams
> not too long ago - why isn't there anything about DSl on the exams at all?

A good number of the Cisco DSL gear out there does not use IOS

Cisco 67X Series Routers (CLI OS called CBOS)
NI-1 DSLAMS (GUI Only)

Only recentely announced modems/routers as well as NI-2 DSLAMS offer IOS
capabilities.
There is also very little that is DSL specific.  The now defunct CLEC that I
worked for used
Cisco DSL gear.  Other than the modems/router (67X series CPE) and the
DSLAMS, the rest
of the equipment was just standard Cisco gear with ATM interfaces.

> I know that DSL is still not considered as reliable as dedicated lines,
> frame relay, etc., but for SOHO users, it is perfect when available and
when
> the provider is not going belly up within 4 months.

DSL's statbility is based on the copper in the ground as well as the
carrier.  I had customers
up for months without any service problem whatsover.

> However, I do not understand the technique behind DSL yet, so I am not
sure
> what's going on. The DSL router is connected to my phoneline, and it has
an
> ATM led on the front. Does that mean it actually works on an ATM network?

It appears as if your carrier uses PPPoATM.  To answer your question, yes,
you data is likley
hauled back to a router or termination device (VIA the DSLAM) in ATM cells.

> Also, Since I have the router on a public IP address, why is it not
> configured to give me a private address for my LAN (the cable that goes
from
> the router to the NIC in my PC) instead of another public IP address?

The router may be configured in Bridging Mode (RFC1483).  Instead of the
modem/router
having the IP assigned by the ISP, it is assigned to your NIC.  If you have
a 67X series router,
that device is capable of acting as a modem (instead of a bridge if you use
rfc1483 bridging)

> And last, what about the EnterNet and PPPoE, what exactly is that, and
> couldn't I use something else?

PPPoE is in part an authentication scheme, as well as an encapsulation
scheme.
EnterNet ????