Ole-
Many will suggest that if you want to share your DSL connection with
multiple hosts in your private LAN, then you should go out and buy a Netgear
or Linksys DSL Router/4port Switch combo unit.  It's supposed to be quite
easy to set up and works greate.  The only negative I've heard is that the
"firewall" feature on them isn't worth the configuration.  Also, the NAT
feature isn't what it's cracked up to be either- at least for the NetGear.
A colleague of mine had me take a look at one that he was setting up for a
client, and the ISP was giving them 5 static IP's.  So, they wanted to
static nat between multiple hosts for WWW, SMTP/POP3, etc.  I later come to
find that it would only let you do one static, and the rest would do
dynamic.
This was roughly 4 months ago.

For a cisco solution, you could go with a C17xx and the WIC-1ENET card that
is designed ONLY for the 1700's.
The WIC-1ENET card is PPPoE compliant, and it is the lesser expensive
alternative to the other option - WIC-1ADSL.

Obviously, of course, buying a Cisco router for your shared WAN usage is
more expensive, but I think it is better in the long run for many reasons.
You get a router that can double as a lab device, you can NAT with more
versatility, you get at least a little exposure to how the PPPoE/oA configs
work (with the ENET card it is simple, but the ADSL card gets you to
learning the real functionality of DSL ATM), and with the 1750's you get a
router that also have VoIP capability.

I invested in a 1750-4V with the WIC-1ENET (the wic runs roughly 150-200USD
on ebay) option off of ebay, and really wished I had gotten the 1751 for
VLAN labs, but I'm still quite happy with what I have.  The WIC-1ADSL is
IMHO way over priced (500+USD) for what it gives you in functionality, but
if currency is not an issue, then I would get it for the indepth hands-on
experience.

As far as I know, the only reason for the ISP's usage of PPPoE over PPPoATM
(I could be wrong about this though) is for accounting reasons.  That is the
only real purpose behind the Enternet300 software.  You should be able to
connect without login id/pw, but the PPPoE implementation forces this, and
I've been explained that it is purely for accounting reasons.  Without the
ID/PW during the PPPoE negotiations, you can't get onto the upstream net. :(

If you get the basic DSL from SBC (and I think it's the same for other
carriers in the US), they'll send you a Westell or SpeedStream DSL modem, of
which if you are dynamicly assigned your address, they use the modem in
bridging mode.  If you have a static IP, then your modem has the bridging
mode turned off.  If you have the time, you can sift through DSLReports.com
on their public posting forum for some comments on the difference between
the two modems as far as functionality and effeciency of throughput goes.

The only thing I haven't figured out how to do is have a real-time gauge of
my xfer rate, something the Enternet300 software did give me....

HTH
Mark Odette II