----- Original Message -----
From: "Thomas N."
> I have a problem here with HSRP on 6509.  The Cisco 6509 has 2 MSFC cards.
> As I understand correctly, only the first card (active one) does the
> routing.  The second card (standby one) should do NOTHING, unless the
first
> card goes down (please correct me if I am wrong).  In my case, things are
> different.  It seems both cards do the routing.  When I do a trace on a
> destination, the result flips flop between the actually IP addresses of
the
> vlan on both cards.  Let's say I have VLAN 100 with:
>
> Virtual IP address = 10.100.1.100     255.255.0.0
> IP address on first card (active) = 10.100.1.1     255.255.0.0
> IP address on second card  (standbly) = 10.100.1.2     255.255.0.0
>
> When I do the trace on a destination that pass through this 6509, some
path
> includes 10.100.1.1, while other includes 10.100.1.2
>
> Is there some way I can check if the HSRP is configured correctly on my
> 6509?  Thanks in advance!
>
> Thomas

One issue could be the fact that the standby address is only used as the
default gateway for workstations. Routing protocols use the physical
address.

Another issue could be the fact that you have both MSFC's configured
seperately, not as a redundant pair. In this case, half of your VLAN's are
being routed by one MSFC, while the other half are routed by the second.
You'll run into some assymentric routing issues with this configuration, but
they can be worked through. The plus for this config, is that you have twice
the processing power to handle process switched packets.

David C Prall   [EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://dcp.dcptech.com