I wish that Networking 101 was required in schools. Then even the
Management by Business Week types would know about the 7 layers and that
the operating system, which generally deals with local file management and
I/O, should not matter when considering traffic going through routers and
switches.

In actuality, there may be issues because the TCP/IP stack and other
protocols are part of the operating system and they could be buggy, but if
they are standard and not buggy, then there shouldn't be an issue.

I don't mean to flame the person that asked. It can't hurt to do some
research, and there was that one bug with 802.1x security and Catalyst 5000
switches connecting PCs running Windows XP, but that kind of thing
shouldn't happen. On the other hand, both Cisco and Microsoft like to take
simple concepts (like bridging, etc.) and make them so complicated that
bugs are bound to happen.

We run an ISP among other things. I wish that our users would take the
basic networking class also. This morning someone called and said she had
an error message about running out of server space. So I talked to her
about not keeping mail on the server. She said, "you mean I can't keep
messages in my In Box?" Sigh. Networking 101 would have a short section on
client/server architecture too.

Sorry for the babbling. Haven't had my latte yet.....

Priscilla

Priscilla Oppenheimer
http://www.priscilla.com