From: "Chuck Larrieu"
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 00:05:14 -0400
Subject: RE: HELP!! The Cisco Code & Windows XP [7:16604]

I'm sure you've had your fair share of smart remarks by now. So I won't add
my own. I will remark that in fairness to your boss, there is probably
something he has heard or read which caused him to look for reassurance.

for example, is there a concern with VPN compatibility of operation using
Win XP VPN client software? is there a security concern based upon published
writings about the XP TCP stack?

if the question is "will Cisco routers pass traffic generated by XP
machines?" the answer is "sure. why not" after all, there is nothing in an
IP or a TCP header that indicates the type of host OS that originates the
packet. as long as the traffic is contained in valid packets, the router
will pass process them. knowing that, may I recommend you sit down with the
boss and ask what his concerns are. what has he read? what has he heard? why
would he think there is reason to be concerned? hell, he could be a victim
of MBBW ( Management By Business Week - where the president of the company
saw something in Business Week Magazine over the weekend and on Monday
morning told your boss to investigate and come back with report. ;->

( and yes, I know some bosses are "she" )

Chuck