At 08:38 AM 8/27/01, Ednilson Rosa wrote:
>Yes, that's right! I have a configuration where I set up an ACL to
>completely filter telnet FROM and TO a certain network connected to it. I
>applied the ACL both inbound and outbound on an Ethernet interface. Done
>this, no one could telnet my router or any host on that Ethernet segment
>passing through my router. But I WAS ABLE to telnet any host on that segment
>as long as I originated the telnet from the router itself!

Ah hah! ;-) This is the type of anomaly that I'm talking about. I know I
need to test it, but I don't have time right now....

It sounds like the bottom line is that output traffic from the router
itself does not actually go through the ACL. Pings may still fail, however,
if the Ping reply does go through an ACL that blocks it.

Telnet from the router does not go through the ACL either. The replies may
get through, depending on the ACL, as Ednilson describes below. In the
classroom, our students get confused by this. They set up an ACL and test
from the router where the ACL is configured and the ACL doesn't block
traffic as expected.

If I'm still off base, just let me know. I don't mind at all! ;-)

Priscilla

> From which you
>may conclude that an ACL doesn't affect packets originated on the router on
>which it is applied...
>
>Regards,
>
>Ednilson Rosa

Outbound?