Aha!  Now we're talking.  I was making the assumption you were
discussing higher-layer configs.  This person is talking about physical
layer configuration of your CSU/DSU.  In that situation you do have a
master/slave relationship.  Usually, the CSU/DSU is the 'slave' and
derives its clocking from the line.

If you have a router with built-in CSU/DSUs then you'd need to
configure the router appropriately.

HTH,
John

>>> Marshal Schoener  8/27/01 2:47:01 PM >>>
Thanks for the reply...
Basically, the person at the telco (Verizon) told me that
point-to-point
interfaces, such as the one I am using between 2 sites, needs to have
master and a slave for clocking purposes :-)  I have never heard of
this
myself, and thought like you said, with HDLC all you need to do is give
the
serial interface an ip address.

Thanks again for responding!