Close...

Actually it's dark when nothing is attached, but it remain's "dark" even when
CPE is attached.

Dark fiber, the term is used by providers meaning that they lease you fiber
that does not traverse their network.  So technically, you can run anything
across it as you wish.

Take this example... I have a sonet ring from a local carrier and it is
attached to their ATM infrastructure at 155mb.  they (the carrier) are not
really lighting the fiber but since it is a sonet node it is limited to ATM.
(Or packet over sonet) but you still only get the bandwidth you pay for.

However, if I purchase "dark" fiber meaning that it is not lit by the
carrier,
then I can run ATM across it at oc3, oc12, oc48, oc192, etc.... OR I can run
100fx or gig across it... However much money I feel like spending on the
equipment is what will run across it.

-Patrick

>>> "Tony van Ree"  09/06/01 06:24PM >>>
Hi,

Dark fibre is when you have, buy or rent a fibre cable that is terminated
but has no equipment connected.  Devices using fibre have either infra red
or laser light thus making the cale non "dark".

Hope this helps.

Teunis,
Hobart, Tasmania
Australia