Coockoo works.  :-)

The solid answer is === It Depends.

Take into consideration how much it costs to lay that fiber.  Distance would
play a big role in the pricing decision.  At my last job (a city government)
we ran our own fiber.  I think 1000-2000 feet of 24 strand multimode cost us
in the $50k-$200k range (it's been a while).  We wanted to connect another
site several miles away and were looking at figures in excess of $1,000,000.

The price of the fiber was not the biggest cost.  The digging up of the
street was.

What would a service provider charge for dark fiber?  Probably a bunch.  I
would think it to be more than a light connection because the either must
cross connect the fiber or run it direct, which could be a pain (in your
wallet).  If they were to light the fiber, they could have, say, OC-192 on
theirs and provide you an OC-3.  I would think that would be cheaper since
all the connections are made in their equipment and they would have control
over the bandwidth.

After saying all that (and calling you coockoo), I'll finish by saying I
probably have no idea what I'm talking about.  :-)

Have a great day.

>>> "Mark Odette II"  09/06/01 08:58PM >>>
So- Just out of curiousity- Anybody have a rough amt. that "Dark Fiber" runs
for??  Is it dependent upon the mileage, or is it rated out at a flat
monthly fee.

You'ld think that if it was only a couple hundred bucks a month, that all
kinds of ISP startups would be using it to put their infrastructure
together, and just have a specific site as their gateway to an upstream
provider.
Tell me if I'm coockoo about this theory.

Mark Odette II