preach on brother!

I would have to agree with everything you said.  Like I have posted before,
we were an extreme shop before we went cisco. (political BS)  I have never
loved a piece of gear so much than the purple packet pushers we had in
house!  :)

Telcos are already running fiber into subdivisions and aprtmnt complexes.
More and more sonet services are being deployed.  And with WDM advancing
like it has, serial connectivity will be a thing of the past!

-Patrick

>>> "Robert Hanley"  09/14/01 06:10PM >>>
What a load of cisco bigotry crap! Thank god for you
guys who know better, huh? Even the folks at cisco
call this nonsense "drinking the kool-aid" for gods
sake. At least they don't believe their own marketing
BS. Normally I wouldn't even reply to such a post, but
Ive got some residual anger to vent.

Do yourselves a favor and wake up to the fact that
there are lots of companies out there who make gear
thats just as good if not better in many cases than
cisco's. What are you going to do when all your old T1
circuits are replaced by optical networks? Have you
honestly looked at the market share cisco has in
optical networking? Do you understand the products
offered by the different vendors?

I've got news for you folks, the skills you are all
trying so hard to master are already yesterdays news!

There is a whole new wave of networking technologies
being deployed right under your noses that will
totally change the way companies run their networking
departments. Most enterprises in the future will
outsource their MANs and WANs to managed service
providers (running Nortel gear in many cases...horror
of horrors) who will hand off an ethernet link at the
customer premises. This will go into an L2/L3 switch,
not "a router" as such (running EIGRP of course, so no
other vendor's gear can be used). This will provider
higher speed links at lower costs while flattening the
MAN/WAN and eliminating a whole layer of storing and
forwarding (read: L3 software based router).

The L2/L3 LAN switching market has become so
commoditized that the profit margins are slim to
non-existent. The Catalyst switches are based on dated
technology, and cannot deliver wire speed throughput
while doing anything more than straight L2 (hence the
"3-layer heirarchical model" a marketing exercise, NOT
an engineering one, the whole point of switching was
to flatten networks). Cisco will have to buy an
established vendor (probably Extreme) in order to
compete, since they've written down all the R&D they
were doing along with their fledgling (CLEC) carrier
business.

That is why companies like Nortel are not even trying
to compete in the conventional router market. Their
R&D resources have all gone into next generation
equipment that surpasses anything that cisco can do.
Nortel's enterprise clients are buying Multiservice
WAN switches, Sonet, and DWDM; NOT ROUTERS! Hint hint
nudge nudge wink wink! Get it ?

[EMAIL PROTECTED]