From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of
Robert Hanley
Sent: Saturday, September 15, 2001 4:10 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: RANT Longish, Why Cisco and not ...!!! [7:19933]

I wasn't going to clutter up the list and waste B/w, but you asked me to
enlighten you, and I guess the information should be available to all. Yes,
I am responding using a different email address because its convenient; but
I'm the same Robert Hanley.

If you read the thread in context I responded to someone looking for reasons
why no one should buy anything but Cisco. If my attempt to add breadth to
this persons understanding of the industry are lost on you that's
unfortunate for you. There are no sour grapes here, but I am always amazed
at the arrogant and dismissive attitudes I encounter whenever anything but
Cisco cheerleading is expressed. I participate in the list to take Cisco
exams too, which I am getting back to after being busy taking Nortel cert
tests, which were a requirement for my commissions. They were very
educational btw, and have helped me to understand many of the aspects of
Cisco's certification process in a new light. If you are only interested in
passing exams, and not in understanding the business you would participate
in, you may want to re-examine your motives.

A lab comprised of the gear I'm talking about costs millions of $ and yes
there is a cert. It is indeed esteemed, but perhaps in different circles
than you will find yourself. Oh well...

http://www.nortelnetworks.com/servsup/certification/optical_cert/index.html

The kind of change I'm talking about happens about every 10 years, even in
this very fast moving business. The last time was when two college
professors at Stanford wanted to make their department's computers talk
together. But that's another story.

Go in peace...and keep your head down.

"Dan Faulk"  wrote in message
> All this is very educational and almost useless to the task at hand. Many
of
> us are here to prepare ourselves for the toughest test we've ever taken
> outside of marriage (I aint kidding folks), and have chosen this path for
> several good reasons. None of which are related to the sour grapes between
> Cisco and Nortel, which BTW are no different than those between Microsoft
> and IBM of several years ago.
>
> If Nortel is sponsoring an industry certification with near the widespread
> esteem of Cisco's CCIE please by all means tell us what we are missing. I
> can put together a Nortel lab much cheaper than a Cisco one and am all
> ears.....
>
> This industry has been in constant flux since day 0 and all the claims of
> mine is bigger than yours doesn't matter one wit. Personally I think
Nortel
> makes a good product though not as good as Cisco's overall but that's
IMHO.