On Mar 19,  5:22am, "nrf" wrote:
}
} [snip argument we've heard umpteen times]

     I won't argue with the basic premise of your argument, since it is
sound as far as it goes.  However you are looking at just the picture
at this moment, i.e. a static image.  That isn't very interesting, it
is much more interesting to consider what is going to happen over the
long term, i.e. it is time to move onto Econ 201 and do some trend
analysis.  I won't claim to be able to predict the future, so these are
just my opinions based on what I have seen.

     Juniper only plays in a niche market, so there is limited demand
for their products.  Cisco plays in a broad market, so there is much
greater demand for their products.  Further more, Cisco is starting to
make products that compete head to head with Juniper's products and are
starting to eat into Juniper's market.  Unless Juniper makes some big
changes, they could be in trouble.  I don't know what will happen in
the long run, but I do know that it won't happen today.

     The economy will get better.  People will start building up
networks that have stalled (heck, I've just been given the opportunity
to build a small "enterprise" network from scratch).  When that
happens, people will be buying lots of Cisco products as well as some
Juniper products.  However, Juniper will still be a niche product with
a very small market, which means that the Cisco market will grow much
more rapidly.  Therefore, I feel that in the long run, Cisco is a much
safer bet.  Sure, JNCIEs may make more, but unless Juniper makes some
serious changes, there will always be very limited demand for them.
Once the market is saturated, that's it.  It doesn't matter how much
JNCIEs make, if there are no jobs available.

     I think the bottom line is this.  Everybody has heard the
arguments, especially many repeats of yours.  Everybody will make up
their own mind based on the information they have.  This is a Cisco
study list, not a Juniper advocacy list, which means that your
continued evangelising of Juniper is grossly off topic and isn't
particularly welcome, so GET LOST!!!

}-- End of excerpt from "nrf"