I have had this with an odd router and it's just a matter of playing with
the cable.. A little wiggle here and there.
I checked one console port out and the wires inside were a tad bent ..
Also I have had some switches 19xx give me a wacked out ATHQ error and yet
on another PC they work fine..
When I go back to the original PC  just use another serial port and it's
fine..
And yet Serial 1 will work fine with a router and serial 2 work with a
switch on the same PC SO go figure  ...
The problem follows the PC
..
Like other said get terra Term pro. and maybe try another PC ..and maybe
even NT or 2k as windoze 9x can be funky

I made a DOS boot disk with kermit loaded which negates all the windoze
errors and if that does not work them I know it's a bad port on the router /
switch
Oz
sNIP
The symptom is as folows :
Output from the router on the console screen will be seen, but anything
which is typed in will not be seen