Ok - four different encapsulation types are commonly found on an
"ethernet" network. All versions have a frame format that includes

* preamble
* destination MAC address
* source MAC address
* a field who's purpose differs with encapsulation type
* payload
* frame check sequence (CRC)

The encapsulation types differ as follows

* Ethernet II (Cisco keyword "arpa") - uses a payload length field.
Since the ether MTU is 1518 with 18 octets of overhead, this field is
never more than 1500.

* 802.3 Raw - This type is said to be raw because service access points
are not specified, as in 802.2 or SNAP. The field used for length in
ethernet II carries instead "type" information that specifies the layer
three protocol. Key values are (in hex)

* 802.2 (SAP) - If the 802.3 type field specifies SAP, fields specifying
source and destination service access points (DSAP and SSAP) have been
inserted between the length field and the payload. The service access
points specify the higher level entity that will process the message -
thus, they effectively specify the higher level protocol encapsulated in
the frame.

* SNAP - If the LLC header (DSAP and SSAP are both AA), a SNAP sub
header between the SAP header and payload add a 5 byte field that allows
specification of additional layer three protocol types.

--
Jason

Boson BCMSN1 BSCN2 BSCI2 practice tests
E-Quizware CCIE practice test