I use a sniffer. I also use IEEE documents (which are free now!) and RFCs.
For Novell information, I would go directly to Novell's site, which is slow
(runs on Novell servers? ;-) but useful.

In the case of Ethernet frame types, here's what I would do:

On a Cisco router, configure the following commands, one by one:

Albany(config-if)#ipx network 400 encapsulation ?
   arpa          Novell Ethernet_II
   hdlc          HDLC on serial links
   novell-ether  Novell Ethernet_802.3
   sap           IEEE 802.2 on Ethernet, FDDI, Token Ring
   snap          IEEE 802.2 SNAP on Ethernet, Token Ring, and FDDI
Albany(config-if)#ipx network 400 encapsulation snap
Albany(config-if)#ipx network 100 encapsulation arpa secondary
Albany(config-if)#ipx network 200 encapsulation sap secondary
Albany(config-if)#ipx network 300 encapsulation novell-ether secondary

Then I would look at each of these with a sniffer. This is what I recommend
in the Ethernet lab scenario on www.certificationzone.com, which by the
way, is another set of documents that I trust, (although the ARP tutorial
has the usual misconceptions in it, which is very disappointing.)

It's a tough world out there, I know. For some reason, there's an awful lot
of BS published on both the Web and in books.

Amazon reviews are helpful. I trust those. Check out the reviews for Doyle,
for example, and for Clark and Kennedy. All excellent and right on. Check
out the reviews for the "get rich quick by feeding yourself with cliches
about networking" books (i.e. certification study guides). Not all so good.

Priscilla

Priscilla Oppenheimer
http://www.priscilla.com