At 11:40 AM 11/17/01, Jonathan Hays wrote:
>Priscilla Oppenheimer wrote:
>
> > way, is another set of documents that I trust, (although the ARP tutorial
> > has the usual misconceptions in it, which is very disappointing.)
>
>Priscilla,
>I don't remember reading that paper and unfortunately I have let my
>membership elapse.
>Could you share what these common misconceptions are, and if  possible,
>point us to a
>more accurate source of information written in plain English (that means
>non-RFC)?
>Thanks.

Here's a copy of the message I sent to CertificationZone over two weeks ago
about the ARP errors. I thought they would fix them.

An ARP frame does not have an IP header. Figure 2 should show a real ARP
frame. Note that the destination is six sets of FFs (not the four in the
figure) and that there's no IP layer.

Ethernet Header
   Destination:  FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF  Ethernet Broadcast
   Source:       00:00:0C:05:3E:80
   Protocol Type:0x0806
ARP - Address Resolution Protocol
   Hardware:                 1  Ethernet (10Mb)
   Protocol:                 0x0800  IP
   Hardware Address Length:  6
   Protocol Address Length:  4
   Operation:                1 ARP Request
   Sender Hardware Address:  00:00:0C:05:3E:80
   Sender Internet Address:  172.16.10.1
   Target Hardware Address:  00:00:00:00:00:00
   Target Internet Address:  172.16.10.10

Figure 3 needs to be fixed also. A reply doesn't have an IP header either.
Does this matter? Yes. If you set a filter to capture just IP packets with
a protocol analyzer or debugged just IP packets on a router, for example,
you would miss all the ARPs since they aren't IP packets. Plus we expect
accuracy from CertificationZone! ;-)

Priscilla

Priscilla Oppenheimer
http://www.priscilla.com