What are you going to do when your company network is down and the CEO is
breathing down your neck asking when is it going to be fixed?  I guess
you'll tell him "we'll I asked a question in the newsgroup and nobody told
me what to do yet."  That's a quick way to be shown the door.

I stand by my assertion that the best way to advance one's career in
networking is to develop the ability to look up problems and solutions on
ones own.  When stumped on a problem, ask the group... not ask the group
first.

I say again if you want to teach people that the way to resolve a problem is
to blindly ask other people for solutions without trying to research and
resolve on ones own, that's up to you but you're not doing them a favor and
you'll diminish their abilities and career potential by doing that.

What do you think the CCIE lab exam tests?  Do they give you newsgroup
access? Do they let you phone a friend?  No, they give you a network, a set
of issues, and reference material to research when needed.  The exam is
designed to test ones ability to think through issues, research when needed,
and identify possible solutions.  The people that follow your advice will
never have the skills to be high level networkers.  But that's alright,
they'll be the people under me who'll always be asking me what to do when
confronted with a problem.  And that's why I'll be getting the big bucks...
cause I can think and research on my own... and not run to others right
away...

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day... teach a man to fish and he eats
for a lifetime...

--

-=Repy to group only... no personal=-