We are touching several subjects that every now and then are discussed on
this and other lists.

There are many things to consider:

When getting a job and you have a CCNP cert, I would assume that most
companies will expect you to live up to that cert, and fire you if you're
just "all paper - no brains".

Many applicants put so much stuff on their resume that has no real life
truth in it.

I remember when I was interviewing for an assistant, and wanted someone (at
that time) with Novell experience and preferable a CNA or better, and this
guy came in and said that he had paid and attended all CNE courses (5 I
believe) which would have costed him more than $10K - but when he found out
that he had to pay for the exams themself, he had refused to take them. Yeah
right! Who's gonna pay $10K+ for training but not an additional $500.- to
pass and get the cert???

After that interview, I made a paper with 10 simple questions from making a
CAT5 cable, to backing up the Novell NetWare 3.1x bindery, to creating setup
diskettes for NT 4.0 installation. Most of the applicants only got about
half of them right, and one guy did not get any of them right, but was
sitting with a BIG smile throughout the whole interview.

Next, salary surveys.

I often wonder what happens with salary and certs. - When people stay in the
same job and achieve a new cert, will they get a raise automatically, by
request, or not a chance? - When people apply for a new job, will the salary
match their certs or only the ones the position need them to have?

Also, some people have lost their lust of educating themselves and/or
providing service they can be proud of. Someone can have been in a job for
20 years, but does not have any pride in doing a good job, so they are
standing still so to speak.

Personally, I like to be proud of putting my name on what I have achived, so
people can look at the job I've done and say "that guy did a good job here".
That is probably why my company have given me three extremly good raises and
a very good bonus in the less than two years I've been working for them.

So, salary surveys... - Well, I like to read them to get a feel for what a
guy like me with 14 years of professional programming, system & network
administration, and web development/administration gets, and then compare it
to where I am salary wise. One thing everyone should remember is that salary
is not the only thing to consider. You can get a high salary, but be
travelling 70% of the time, working 90 hours a week, and be in an
environment with a populated department below the amount of tasks, forcing
you to eat antacid tablets like candy.

Anyway, this was just my 00000010 cents.

Have fun out there...

Ole

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 Ole Drews Jensen