Good point. I was thinking the 1970s might be too late, even if the 1940s
was too early. ;-)

The 4-wire to 2-wire connection is important to know about because it
represents an impedance mismatch and may cause echo. It's called the
hybrid. The change from 2 wire to 4 wire lets the network apply
amplification in just one direction, from what I understand. For the
various Cisco classes that cover voice, you need to know about the hybrid.

I mostly work above the physical layer, as you can probably tell. ;-) But
even a minimal understanding of the physical layer is helpful for
understanding full duplex, half duplex, etc.

Priscilla

At 05:01 PM 12/7/01, Daniel Cotts wrote:
>I started working on T-1s in 1969. Actually four wire circuits go way back
>to analog trunk lines. An amplifier works in one direction only. Two wire
>circuits went through a two wire to four wire coil at each end.(can't
>remember the terminology). The circuit was four wire for the long haul. Each
>transmit was amplified. N carrier circuits again used four wire. The
>channels were seperated by frequency. L carrier used coax. Can't remember if
>one or two cables as I didn't work on it.

Priscilla Oppenheimer
http://www.priscilla.com