richard beddow wrote:
> If you trully beleive this then I fear your are destined for
> that dark place which is marketing.  Ok it is not incorrect but
> does not give the full picture.

I take exception to this comment.  If there is one thing that is *preached*
by Cisco is that the main advantage of utilizing switches over hubs is that
your clients can now operate in full duplex mode, 200Mbps in the case of
FastEthernet.  If you read on Cisco's site about FastEtherchannel, it
mentions that it is based on the 802.3 full-duplex standard, but then
virtually everywhere else bandwidth is talked about they say "bandwidth" not
"full-duplex bandwidth".  From one of many pages on FastEtherchannel:

"Fast Ethernets to provide 400+ Mbps between the wiring closet and the data
center, while in the data center bandwidths of up to 800 Mbps can be
provided between servers and the network backbone to provide large amounts
of scalable incremental bandwidth"

So I do believe that my original statement was correct.......

> Getting back to the original question I beleive it is possible
> to run 2Mbps full duplex across a serial link.  The restriction
> you quote I think may be something to do with the ISP SLA.
>
> OK two for and two against, who will swing the vote.
>

> RB.

My example I gave with the T1 to an ISP was probably misleading because of
possible SLAs, etc.  Let's change that to a point-to-point T1 link.  I can
only conclude that the total available bandwidth on such a link would be
~3Mbps (1.5Mbps possible throughtput in each direction).  That's the only
thing that makes sense given we know it's full-duplex.

Mike W.