>My co-author added this statement to the book I'm working on:
>
>".... an ATM virtual circuit may begin on an OC-3 fiber link, cross over to
>a T3 line, pass across a Gigabit Ethernet fiber backbone, and end up going
>out through an OC-12 fiber link. This may be an implementation of a single
>ATM circuit, however."

>Could an ATM virtual circuit really span an Ethernet backbone??

This is one of those protocol questions that at first makes me think
of Bill Clinton expounding on the definition of "is," but more
appropriately, Butler Lampson's observation that "no problem in
computer science is insoluble with a sufficient level of indirection."

Zeroth, it's not clear what the speed of the ATM VC is, which would
influence the technologies that could be used.

First, if the statement had referred to 10 Gigabit Ethernet fiber, I
could argue that that is simply the same physical medium dependent
layer that underlies OC-192 SONET as well as 10 GE.

Second, is GMPLS involved? I'm almost certain there is an
encapsulation for cells.

Third, if there were segmentation, reassembly, and resegmentation,
would the customer ever know?

Fourth, there may be conversions anyway. By the statement "begin on
an OC-3 fiber link," I wouldn't interpret that as raw OC-3 over
fiber, but, since it's described as subsequently traversing a T3
line, then is there SONET encapsulating one DS-3 or slower signal
within the OC-3?