Priscilla,

It depends!

There is a new facility known as AToM (Any Transport over MPLS Tunnel)
that supports ATM over an MPLS core. (If you implement the MPLS core
over Gigabit Ethernet then yes you can carry ATM over Gigabit Ethernet.)

It is used by some new generation service providers to offer ATM, Frame
Relay, and leased line services to their customers when in fact they
really only have an IP based network.

Some details of it are covered in ATM Forum AF-AIC-0178.000 August 2001.
(you can down load it from ATM Forum web site)

I also recollect seeing it on some Cisco Carrier MPLS slides. I'll try
to dig out the reference.

Try a CCO search on ATOM / looking at the MPLS & ATM pages.

There is a mention of it in:

"Service Provider QoS, Providing e2e Guarantees by Vijay Krishnamoorthy
(Cisco IOS Technologies Div April 2001)" I'll try to find a URL for the
article.

Peter

In article , Priscilla Oppenheimer
 writes
>My co-author added this statement to the book I'm working on:
>
>".... an ATM virtual circuit may begin on an OC-3 fiber link, cross over to
>a T3 line, pass across a Gigabit Ethernet fiber backbone, and end up going
>out through an OC-12 fiber link. This may be an implementation of a single
>ATM circuit, however."
>
>Could an ATM virtual circuit really span an Ethernet backbone??
>
>Thanks! I don't want to be one of those authors that propagates
>misinformation. ;-) Seriously, some mistakes are unavoidable, but this one
>seems avoidable (if it is a mistake)
>
>Priscilla

>Priscilla Oppenheimer
>http://www.priscilla.com