>I'm currently tearing apart BGP as part of my IE studies. It's not too bad
>since I come from a Network Service Provider background. But, I have run
>into a conflict in regards to RRs vs. Confeds. I probably don't need to
>straighten this out for the Written but when it comes to the lab I'd like to
>know which route to go down. I have no idea how the lab poses it's topology
>but if given the requirement to configure a simulated "large" network and
>then having to choose whether to implement RRs or Confeds I wonder which one
>Cisco prefers. I'm assuming that as part of the lab, the idea is to create
>solutions that work and in doing so, solutions that are as simple as
>possible and as short as possible.

 From my understanding of statements made at Networkers by CCIE
program managers, this isn't going to be a problem for you.  They've
said the CCIE lab is NOT a design lab and is NOT intended to test
best current practices.  For ease in grading, labs tend to have only
one possible answer, so it will be quite clear in context whether
they are looking for a RR or confed.

To answer the question a little more broadly, not from the CCIE labs
but from such things as the advanced ISPs workshops, for an ISP, RRs,
including hierarchical clusters of RRs, are generally preferred for
ISPs. They are simpler and somewhat easier to configure than confeds.

Confeds do have a role, however, when you need, for example, to be
able to set per-POP policy.  For that reason, confeds are quite
useful for ISPs that have acquired other ISPs with different design
assumptions. Confeds are also useful for complex enterprise
backbones-of-backbones.