>The size of the network does have a role when choose between RR and Confeds.
>The BGP desgin for a POP is quite different than for the backbone, this is
>true no matter the size of the ISP.

Well, yes. If the POPs have different policies, confeds may be
useful.  Otherwise, I think you'll find most ISPs use a hierarchy of
RR's, with an intra-POP RR acting as a client of a higher-level RR
closer to the core.

Depending on your aggregation strategy, the POP may be a single IGP
routing domain, or a non-backbone area of ISIS or OSPF.  Large POPs
may even contain multiple areas.

The core itself may or may not contain BGP; it may use an IGP and MPLS.

>POPs are better place for RR where the backbone is better off with something
>else.
>If it is a purely dialup POP, you do not even need BGP within the POP, only
>the routers connecting to the regional or main backbone need to advertise
>your routes.

Depends what the dialup POP is doing; there are lots of possibilities
including having to be a L2TP proxy for regulatory reasons.

>A typical design could be having RR and IGP non-backbone area in each POP,
>making every POP in a Confeds and runing IGP backbone area across the whole
>BGP backbone network.

I'm really not picturing the sort of policy that would call for this.