At 05:14 PM 12/24/01, Chuck Larrieu wrote:
>is an ICMP response SUPPOSED to go to a broadcast address?

In general, ICMP messages should go to a unicast address. A device could be
misconfigured with the wrong subnet mask, causing it to send to an address
that it thinks is a unicast but the recipients think is a broadcast. I've
seen that. Or it could just be a software bug, in other words, a poor
implementation of ICMP.

>  I'm probably off
>in left field here, but your server should be sending UDP to a directed
>broadcast address, shouldn't it?

ICMP doesn't use UDP. I don't know if that's what you had in mind since I'm
not in left field with you. ;-) NIS uses UDP and could send to broadcast or
directed broadcast.

>Hi All,
>
>I have a client that installed a Linux NIS server which is working with
>broadcasts. That server is connected to cisco 4908. Server IP is
>192.168.5.2. He is saying that when NIS server starts to work all clients
>and NIS server is receiving a message at below,
>
>" 192.168.5.2 sent an invalid ICMP error to broadcast"

It means exactly what it says. The server sent an ICMP error to the
broadcast address. That's bizarre, so it's letting you know. ICMP messages
go to a unicast address usually. It would be worthwhile to figure out which
ICMP message the server sent. There are many.

This may not copy and paste correctly, but it's worth a try.....

ICMP Types and Codes
Type    Code    Meaning

8       0       Echo (ping)
0       0       Echo reply (ping reply)
3       x       Destination unreachable (generic category)
3       0       Network unreachable
3       1       Host unreachable
3       2       Protocol unreachable
3       3       Port unreachable
3       4       Fragmentation was needed and the don't fragment (DF) bit
was set
3       5       Source route failed
3       13      Packet administratively prohibited
4       0       Source quench
11      x       Time exceeded (generic category)
11      0       Time-to-live (TTL) exceeded
11      1       Fragment reassembly time exceeded

>Can it be because of  "no ip directed-broadcast" command on the
>interface.

That probably has nothing to do with it. Good luck with this. Let us know
what you find out. Thanks,

Priscilla

>Any help will be appreciated?
>
>Best regards,