From: Phil Barker
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 12/24/01 3:06 PM
Subject: Re: ICMP Error [7:30030]

Have you got a sniffer to trace the error ?

It would be interesting to see the packet in question
since ICMP has  20 ish different error codes.

The ICMP error should not be broadcast either, it
should be unicast back to the originator of the
erroring device. Off the top of my head I cannot think
of a purpose for b/cast ICMP. I'll have a dig around
in the RFC to confirm.

Phil.
--- Cisco Breaker  wrote: > Hi
All,

> I have a client that installed a Linux NIS server
> which is working with
> broadcasts. That server is connected to cisco 4908.
> Server IP is
> 192.168.5.2. He is saying that when NIS server
> starts to work all clients
> and NIS server is receiving a message at below,
>
> " 192.168.5.2 sent an invalid ICMP error to
> broadcast"
>
> What is the meaning of this message, I searched on
> cisco but didnt find
> anything. Can it be because of  "no ip
> directed-broadcast" command on the
> interface.