I asked one of the IOS developers about it, and he pointed out that
access lists were developed before subnetting. The wildcard mask is
the natural way hardware does matching.

When subnets were defined, their documentation specified subnet
masks.  With 20/20 hindsight, it might have been a good idea to go
back and change wildcard masks, but, of course, that would have
introduced compatibility problems.