prior to IOS 12.x, the wild card mask method alowed quite a bit of
flexibility. Suppose you had all of your serers on a particular subnet, but
you wanted a different subset of those servers to be accessible from
different subnets. It used to be that you could specify something like

access-list 101 permit ip 172.16.24.0 0.0.0.255 192.168.1.0 0.0.0.28
access-list 101 permit ip 172.16.25.0 0.0.0.255 192.168.1.0 0.0.0.32
access-list 101 permit ip 172.16.26.0 0.0.0.255 192.168.1.0 0.0.0.65

the first line would permit the dot 24 subnet to get to servers with
addresses of dot 4, dot 8, dot 12, dot 16, dot 20, dot 24, and dot 28
the second line would permit the dot 25 subnet to access the server with the
address of dot 32
the third line would permit the dot 26 subnet to get to servers dot 1, dot
64, and dot 65

granted, this is a convoluted example. but it allowed flexibility and
creativity in design.

granted too that you can still accomplish the same thing using the host
switch, or being a little more creative with the network specification.

With the advent of IOS 12.x wildcard bits must be contiguous from the right,
so you lose this kind of power. Also takes the fun out of the network
a.b.c.d x.x.x.x area command in OSPF!

BTW, Mark, I see these odd/even filtering questions in your study materials
and elsewhere. While I understand the goal of the exercise, it has always
struck me as a pretty bizarre premise. Where exactly in the real world is
there any design such that filtering by odd or even would be practical? Let
alone filtering by multiples of 4 or 8 or whatever? ( and yes, after two
runs through you know where, I fully appreciate that in some places, like
the brokerage firm where I used to work, there is very little relationship
between the requirements you are given and the real world )

Chuck