>With the advent of IOS 12.x wildcard bits must be contiguous from the right,
>so you lose this kind of power. Also takes the fun out of the network
>a.b.c.d x.x.x.x area command in OSPF!

I hadn't noticed that. If so, it would not surprise me at all if
Cisco is planning, long-term, to have one kind of mask.

It's not quite the same thing, but assume some feature is on by
default.  In general, defaults don't show up in the show running.

If the Cisco plan is to change the default to "no foo", you'll see the
pattern:

1.  Before the decision to change:          nothing displayed
2.  For some releases after the decision:   foo
3.  After the change is made:               no foo
4.  Many releases after the change:         nothing displayed