At 04:37 PM 1/2/02, Jim Brown wrote:
>Priscilla,
>
>Wouldn't proxy ARP generate an ARP request and an ARP reply if the source
>and target networks were directly connected to the router?

No. Proxy ARP causes the router to generate ARP replies. It has no effect
on ARP requests.

ARP requests are generated by normal ARP when a node tries to find the MAC
address of another station. They are generated by end stations and by the
router. The router has to find the MAC address just like any other station
does.

He is sniffing on the broadband connection which presumably is shared by
all hosts in his "area" (sometimes called a node in cable modem designs).
He can see their ARPs and he can see the router's ARPs.

Proxy ARP allows devices to communicate with devices on the other side of
the router without having to know that the router is there. In this case,
end stations send ARP requests for local and non-local devices. For
non-local addresses, the router responds with its own MAC address.

Priscilla

Priscilla Oppenheimer
http://www.priscilla.com