At 06:42 PM 1/2/02, Steven A. Ridder wrote:
>As everyone else has said, this is normal for a shared access netowrk.  Look
>for routing protocol updates and other things as well .  On ATT's
>cable-modem network you can see the ospf hello updates, who the DR and BDR
>is and other things.

Yep, that's true.

So now we have synergy between this thread and the Passive Interface
thread! I like that! ;-)

Making the cable interface a passive interface seems like a good idea for
many reasons, including security and not just bandwidth usage. (The
bandwidth used by Hellos has gotta be pretty minimal!)

>It can be fun.

A lot of people report seeing other broadcasts too, including NetBIOS,
AppleTalk, etc. It's kind of scary.

>Try dsniff or some other program and
>you can see all the traffic on that network  :)  Be careful though because
>you will probably get slammed and don't forget to reroute the traffic back
>out or else someone will know something is wrong.

What's dsniff? What does that let you see? And what's this about having to
reroute? Can you tell us more? THANKS

Priscilla

>""Phil Barker""  wrote in message
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]">news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Hi Group,
> >      I have been sniffing my broadband connection to
> > my ISP today and have a few questions.
> >
> >      My main gripe is that I'm being sent around 100
> > Arp requests per minute, which obviously I cannot
> > resolve. These ARP requests are all originating from
> > my default G/W at the ISP trying to resolve MAC
> > addresses of various users. Can anyone confirm if this
> > is usual or unusual. I cannot see this being correct
> > since if I set my router up to be one of these IP
> > addresses I can resolve it to my MAC address Eth 0
> > int' or any other mac-address for that matter.
> >
> >      They also send me DHCP requests, IGMP requests
> > for group 224.0.0.1 (Which I wish I could join) but
> > cannot and lots of their private address information
> > via the above mentioned ARP's.
> >
> >      I also captured an attemt at an inbound TCP
> > connection on a dynamic port which my router RST,
> > thankfully.
> >
> >      Are they wasting my B/W ?
> >
> > Thanx,
> >
> > Phil