On a slightly more serious note, I installed 802.11 at our local Starbucks
and the signal quality if pretty bad. We finally realized that it was being
affected by all the jugs of coffee and other liquids and by the "big bags
of mostly water" (humans). (Some StarTrek creature referred to humans that
way.)

Of more interest, I discovered that it was mostly DHCP that had a problem.
DHCP doesn't seem to be too persistent. Of course, it runs on UDP, so that
makes sense. Starbucks still refuses to move their access point closer to
where customers sit. So I boot my computer while standing near the closet
where I know the access point is, get my DHCP address, and then go sit
down. SMTP and HTTP do fine despite lost packets. They are TCP based and
are much more persistent. They are somewhat slow but at least they work.

Priscilla

At 10:07 PM 1/3/02, Ken Diliberto wrote:
>Priscilla,
>
>Didn't you see where it says you're suppose to eat the chips first and use
>the *empty* can?
>
>I don't think you considered what would happen to the signal when
>moisture/mold/mildew set in.  You'd have a soggy pile of "living" stuff,
>which would probably really mess up the signal properties.
>
>Is it normal to think this way???  ;-)
>
>Ken

>I would imagine it has to be the can from the wavy Pringles chips for this
>to work. The vectors representing the magnetic intensity measured in
>amps/meter and the resulting total electric current calculated for a
>specific distance (the closed interval of the integration) can be affected
>by many factors in a real-world environment, including the amount of bits
>left over by the consumer of the chips. Also, Pringles can result in
>problems due to the antenna gain around the consumer's hips especially when
>direct sequenced spread spectrum causes the gain to also affect the middle.
>
>Just kidding! ;-)
>
>Priscilla
>

>At 04:43 PM 1/3/02, Jarmoc, Jeff wrote:
> >There's also the good ol' 802.11b pringles can hack.  I haven't tried it,
> >and it's obviously not something you'd want to implement in a business
> >environment, but I've thought about playing with it as a home toy.
> >
> >http://verma.sfsu.edu/users/wireless/pringles.php
> >
> >Jeff Jarmoc - CCSA, CCNA, MCSE
> >Network Analyst - Grubb & Ellis
> >[EMAIL PROTECTED]