My first job in networking, or should I say connecting Sun 350's to
thicknet ethernet vampire taps until they let me get my newbie hands on
those brand new Cisco thingies, was at Cray Research.  The Cray2 circuit
boards were immersed in florinert (sp?) to keep them cool.  Ran about
$400 a gallon and was made by 3M.

  useless trivia I know..

  Dave

"Steven A. Ridder" wrote:

> The one where the guy bought 3M super computer coolant and doused his whole
> computer in it?  I've read any oil can work, but this won't corrode the
> plastic on circuit boards.
>
> ""Allen May""  wrote in message
> > That is one of the funniest hacks I've ever seen ;)
> >
> > Have you ever seen the one where that guy tried the ultimate coolant on
> his
> > motherboard?  It was some kind of non-conductive oil cooled by a
> > refrigerator compressor to below freezing.  The entire motherboard was
> > submerged & benchmarks went way up...rofl.

David Madland
Sr. Network Engineer
CCIE# 2016
Qwest Communications Int. Inc.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
612-664-3367

"Emotion should reflect reason not guide it"