EIGRP understands ip default-network, in fact it's the basis of a very
important function in the configuration of EIGRP: default route filtering.

'ip default-network' is a classful command.  If you use it with prefixes
longer than a classful boundary, you must have the prefix as well as the
classful boundary of the prefix known in the topology table of the routing
protocol in question.  You must then also configure the class boundary with
the 'ip default-network' along with the more specific prefix you really mean
to advertise as the default network.

Just because a route is in the routing table, doesn't mean its in the
routing protocol topology table.  This is why a static to 0.0.0.0 must be
redistributed into EIGRP in someway, in order to use 'ip default-network
0.0.0.0'. To EIGRP, a route to 0.0.0.0 looks like any other class A network.
Which brings me to another point... Do you really want a default network to
0.0.0.0 floating around your EIGRP domain.  The default-network command is
an enhancement to default routing allowing you to flag any network, not just
0.0.0.0 as a default.  Reconsider your network topology and take a look at
http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/105/default.html

You could have just put ip default-network 'network of serial interface' and
a default route would have went all through your EIGRP routing domain.
(Except routers configured to filter the route from being a default. See
'default-information in/out/allowed' under the 'router eigrp ')

WAYNE BAETY, MCSE, A1C, USAF
Network Systems Trainer