I must join the discussion and add some of my most recent experience
here with Addison Wesley ;-) They used their external reviewer and I
must say they chose him very well. I am sure I would not be able to do
such a thorough review he did. Of course, I had quite a few peer
(voluntary) reviewers which concentrated on their relevant parts only.
However, these were the superb technical experts but without much
writing experience.

(Contrary to Howard, I think the good technical reviewer/editor should
already have some books published to realize both that writing is hard
work and that getting this work thoroughly reviewed is crucial).

As for editors that is another story: I had one who did all the editing
in one go. Not very funny thing was that although I supplied him
immediately with replies to his queries after every set of pages he did,
he did not look at them until after he reached almost the end of book!
Which, as you may easily imagine, meant that he made consistent changes
where they were not necessary or plain wrong.

One mistake I will never do again is to rely that the editor will make
any formatting consistent throughout the text. No, you have to do it
despite of the fact that the final product will use something very
different to what you suggested, but close to wished consistency, at
least.

But all technical and editing comments you get in the process are piece
of cake compared to proofreading of your own text (!) having gone
through the complex publishing house mill ... at the time you would
really like to relax, eventually.

Rita

"Howard C. Berkowitz" wrote:

> [...]
works
> >also.
>
> Wiley uses fewer technical reviewers than Macmillan, but they aren't
> the same kind of configuration-oriented books. The reviewer (an
> "advisor" when a Networking Council member) is more of a sounding
> board.   Scott Bradner did this for my first Wiley book.  For my
> second, Lyman Chapin started out as advisor but changed jobs and was
> unable to continue.  Annlee Hines took over and was a tremendous help.
>
> I hadn't realized the proved writing, but I've been extremely happy
> working with Wiley. Since I'm going through copy edit on the new book
> (to ship in early April), I have to share something that had me in
> hysterics.
>
> In the book, I have a number of "running case studies."  One is about
> a law firm, which I named "Huffle, Puffle, and Cetera."  The copy
> editor carefully changed every reference to "Huffle, Puffle, etc."
> The managing editor giggled and put it back.
>

> >And then there are the publishers that just want to push content out there
> >and start collecting $$$$s as quickly as possible. Their stuff tends to
> >suck. ;-)
> >
> >Priscilla
> >
> >At 04:02 PM 1/17/02, Chuck Larrieu wrote:
> >>It may also be that copy editors think that because it is tech, that what
> >>they see, although it does not make sense grammatically, does make sense
> >>other techies. For a tech review I am currently working on, I had to
> >>specifically call the editor and tell him that the chapters were very
> poorly
> >>written, had lots of poor sentence construction, not to mention bad
> grammar,
> >>and that he should specifically be aware that the text made no sense no
> >>matter who was reading it. Hmmm... come to think of it, I haven't heard
> from
> >>those people lately. I wonder if they fired me? ;->
> >>
> >>I suspect that in this mad rush to get tech books out the door, many of
the
> >>publishing houses are operating under the assumption that whatever a tech
> >>writer writes is correct. Kinda like the emperor's new clothes? Can't be
> >>understood by a fool?
> >>
> >>Chuck
> >>

> >>""Priscilla Oppenheimer""  wrote in message
> >>[EMAIL PROTECTED]">news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >>  > At 12:21 PM 1/17/02, R. Benjamin Kessler wrote:
> >>  > >I have a couple of "nit-picky" complaints about the book (as I do
> about
> >>  > >almost every book I read).  There are some typo's as a previous
poster
> >>  > >indicated.  One of my biggest pet peeves is the use of the term
> >>"continuous"
> >>  > >when the author (probably) means "contiguous" - one sees this most
> often
> >>  > >when discussing OSPF.
> >>  >
> >>  > That says that the author didn't look at the copy-edited material.
New
> >  > > authors assume that publisher's copy editors have a clue. They
don't.
> >They
> >>  > apply rules for "fixing" words and sentences without any idea what
they
> >>are
> >>  > doing.
> >>  >
> >>  > This means that you will probably find other minor mistakes in the
book
> >>  > too. Don't blame the author, although the author should have been
more
> >>  > careful during the final phases of the book project.
> >>  >
> >>  > Cisco Press copy editors once changed every case of Mbps to MByte in
> >>  > book! In my book, in the index, they changed long fat network (LFN)
> >>long
> >>  > file names. See RFC 1323 for the true meaning of elephant (LFN).
> >>  >
> >>  > Thanks for your thorough review of the book.
> >>  >
> >>  > Priscilla
> >>  >
> >>  > >  Note, this book isn't unique in this mis-use of the
> >>  > >term; there are many CCO documents that also make this "error."  I'm
> >>  > >assuming that this is the product of a spell-checker that didn't
know
> >the
> >>  > >term contiguous, suggested continuous and someone hit "replace all."
> >>Before
> >>  > >the flame-war starts, I know that these two words have *similar*
> >meanings
> >>  > >but in this case I - my personal opinion - think that contiguous is
> >'more
> >>  > >right' - besides, it's the term used in the RFC.
> >>  > >
> >>  > >Since I'm picking nits; the author indicates that the OSPF process
ID
> on
> >>  > >router should be thought of "as an Autonomous System ID.  This
number
> >>should
> >>  > >be the same on all routers within the autonomous system."  Per CCO,
> this
> >  >is
> >>  > >a locally significant setting used only to distinguish between
> multiple
> >>OSPF
> >>  > >routing process on a particular router.  If we were to apply the
> RFC2119
> >>  > >definition of "should" to this statement one might think that
certain
> >>  > >problems may occur if this practice wasn't followed.  I don't
believe
> >>this
> >>  > >to be the case but I'm sure someone on the list will correct me if
I'm
> >>  > >wrong.  There's nothing wrong with using the same process ID on all
of
> >>your
> >>  > >OSPF routers; I would guess that networks are configured that way
more
> >>often
> >>  > >than not; but isn't a requirement.  Given that the lab exam is all
> about
> >>  > >splitting hairs to the most minute detail and knowing the various
> >>protocols
> >>  > >in depth, it probably should have been noted (as in other texts)
that
> >two
> >>  > >adjacent routers can have different process IDs configured.
> >>  > >
> >>  > >There are some outright mistakes in the book - I just checked the
> >>CiscoPress
> >>  > >site for an errata and didn't see one yet.  Here one that I recall
off
> >>the
> >>  > >top of my head:
> >>  > >
> >>  > >EIGRP - (p.691) at the bottom of the page, the 'distance' command.
> >>  > >- this is almost a direct copy/paste from the IGRP chapter; does not
> >>include
> >>  > >the required information to change the admin distance of the EIGRP
> >>routing
> >>  > >process (which requires both an internal and external distance); it
> only
> >>  > >lists the syntax to change the distance of a specific neighbor's
> >updates.
> >>  > >find it funny that the EIGRP chapter says "For a specific example
and
> >>more
> >>  > >practice with the 'distance' command, see" the IGRP chapter.  When
you
> >>look
> >>  > >at the IGRP chapter, it uses the same sentence to point you to the
RIP