Just for clarity on those dip switches...I set them like this:
1 down
2 up
3 down
4 up
5 up
6 down
7 down
8 down
and I'm almost always successfull dialing IN to a 3640 plugged into con0.
FYI, the dip switches on USR modems are almost always:
Dip Switch      Description
1       DTR Override
2       Verbal/Numeric Result Codes
3       Result Code Display
4       Command Mode Local Echo Suppression
5       Auto Answer Suppression
6       CD Override
7       Power-on and ATZ Reset Software Defaults
8       AT Command Set Recognition
...and ON = Down, OFF = Up.

also FYI:
To connect a USR modem to a cisco 3640 access server, use a MODEM CAB-5MODCM
(29-0881-01) adapter and a rollover cable plugged into con0 on the cisco.

BTW, I know con0 is a security problem, but my company requires it.