From: Nigel Taylor [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, January 31, 2002 8:19 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: multicast / CGMP towards the multicast server [7:33964]

Michael,
             Of course this would depend on if the multicast server and the
host connected on the same switch was assigned to the same vlan(broadcast
domain).  Just some quick points to mention..

Routers by default will not forward multicast traffic.  However, if you
enabled a multicast routing protocol(PIM, DVMRP) then this is possible.  The
important thing here is that IGMP is used by hosts to inform routers of
their intent to become part of a multicast stream.  This depends on your
implementation of the multicast protocol.  IGMPv2 has been improved to
support leaves from a multicast group which is not supported in IGMPv1.
This way the host is able to notify the source of it's intent to leave the
multicast group.  This is will allow the routers to prune the multicast
traffic from the segment removing the unnecessary traffic, providing no
other host on the segment remains a member of the multicast stream

A good title as recommended by a number of folks on the list is Developing
IP Multicast Networks
Author: Beau Williamson.  ISBN: 157870779

HTH

Nigel