Priscilla,
              You're correct in that Fears' real fear at this point has not
been answered. ;->  In doing some quick research, I found that as you
mentioned IGMP(costly) and CGMP(a less costly solution) would assist in
providing one the ability to control multicast flooding. This is what I
found...

Even in an design where the host and the server resides on the same
VLAN(segment) IGMP and CGMP still provides the ability to control flooding
of multicast traffic.  Specifically, when the host multicasts the IGMP
membership report to the group with the address 224.1.2.3(MAC
0x0100.5E01.0203) and there's no existing mapping in it's CAM table, the
switch will flood the report on all ports in the VLAN.  However, any futher
attempts to join that existing group would then be limited to port listed in
the CAM table that are  eligible to recieve the multicast traffic for the
group.   Chptr 14, pgs 412-442 of Beau Williamson's book Developing IP
Multicast Network provides some really good info on this issue.   The author
does note that flat switched LAN designs will present major problems in
gaining/maintaining control of multicast flooding.

I guess this really comes down to the network design as with every other
aspect of building a scalable and efficient network.

Thoughts.. Anyone!

Nigel

> At 09:28 PM 2/1/02, Nigel Taylor wrote:
> >Priscilla,
> >             You are correct.  Thanks for the added insight.
> >
> >Nigel
>
> You are nice to say this, but you know what I realized?! My answer doesn't
> resolve the quandary either! ;-)
>
> I now think that Fears' real fears had to do with the recipients and the
> server being on the same VLAN. This might cause the switch to forward the
> multicast traffic before it even checks the results of CGMP. The switch
may
> do its default multicast flooding to ports in a VLAN and just make use of
> CGMP to learn about other ports. Am I making any sense? It's late. ;-)
>
> My guess it that the answer is still that CGMP is smart. Once you
configure
> it, the switch knows to not do its normal multicast flooding and instead
> wait to hear from the router regarding which ports should receive the
> multicast flow. Hopefully someone can confirm that.
>
> Priscilla

IP
> > > multicast group that it wants to join.
> > >
> > > When a router receives the IGMP Join, it creates a CGMP message that
> > > contains the MAC address of the host and the multicast group address.
The
> > > router sends the CGMP message to a well-known address that all
switches
> > > listen to. When a Catalyst switch receives the CGMP message from the
> > > router, the supervisor engine responds by modifying the forwarding
table
> > > automatically. In other words, it now knows the specific port that
must
> > > receive the multicast stream. Other hosts on different ports may Join
> >also,
> > > and the switch will add them to the table.
> > >
> > > This is different from IGMP Snooping, by the way. From what I
understand,
> > > IGMP Snooping allows the switch to proactively snoop into IGMP packets
> and
> > > figure out which ones are Joins. IGMP Snooping requires more powerful
> (and
> > > more expensive) switching hardware (firmware).
> > >
> > > Priscilla

> >the
> vlan(broadcast

> >The