No offence, but that answer doesn't remove the quandary. The entire switch
is a segment from the router's point of view. The router receives the IGMP
Join and now knows that packets for that multicast group must be sent out
that interface to that Ethernet segment. All devices on the switch are out
that interface, however.

What Fears fears is that the router won't be smart enough to tell the
switch that not all devices connected to the switch should receive the
multicast stream.

But fear not, Fears. CGMP is smarter than you might think. Here's how I
understand it. Correct me if I'm wrong, please (anyone).

As you know, when a host wants to join an IP multicast group, it sends an
IGMP Join message. The Join specifies the host's MAC address and the IP
multicast group that it wants to join.

When a router receives the IGMP Join, it creates a CGMP message that
contains the MAC address of the host and the multicast group address. The
router sends the CGMP message to a well-known address that all switches
listen to. When a Catalyst switch receives the CGMP message from the
router, the supervisor engine responds by modifying the forwarding table
automatically. In other words, it now knows the specific port that must
receive the multicast stream. Other hosts on different ports may Join also,
and the switch will add them to the table.

This is different from IGMP Snooping, by the way. From what I understand,
IGMP Snooping allows the switch to proactively snoop into IGMP packets and
figure out which ones are Joins. IGMP Snooping requires more powerful (and
more expensive) switching hardware (firmware).

Priscilla

At 10:18 PM 1/31/02, Nigel Taylor wrote:
>Michael,
>              Of course this would depend on if the multicast server and the
>host connected on the same switch was assigned to the same vlan(broadcast
>domain).  Just some quick points to mention..
>
>Routers by default will not forward multicast traffic.  However, if you
>enabled a multicast routing protocol(PIM, DVMRP) then this is possible.  The
>important thing here is that IGMP is used by hosts to inform routers of
>their intent to become part of a multicast stream.  This depends on your
>implementation of the multicast protocol.  IGMPv2 has been improved to
>support leaves from a multicast group which is not supported in IGMPv1.
>This way the host is able to notify the source of it's intent to leave the
>multicast group.  This is will allow the routers to prune the multicast
>traffic from the segment removing the unnecessary traffic, providing no
>other host on the segment remains a member of the multicast stream
>
>A good title as recommended by a number of folks on the list is Developing
>IP Multicast Networks
>Author: Beau Williamson.  ISBN: 157870779
>
>HTH
>
>Nigel