From: Priscilla Oppenheimer [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, February 04, 2002 4:31 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: OSPF DR problem [7:34379]

Hi Group Study,

Playing with IP OSPF priority to influence which router became the
Designated Router (DR) caused routing problems for me in a recent bout with
a lab exercise. Can anyone help me understand if I did something wrong?

I have 2 routers on an Ethernet LAN. Both of them also have WAN connections
to remote sites. R1 has a Frame Relay link to the corporate "cloud" via its
S0 port. S0 is configured as "ip ospf network point-to-point."

R2 has an ISDN link to yet another router, R3. This link is configured as
an OSPF point-to-point demand circuit.

R1 and R2 are connected via an Ethernet switch. My goal was to make sure R1
became the DR on Ethernet. Both routers have loopbacks, but R2's is higher,
so to make sure R2 did not become the DR, I configured it with:

ip ospf priority 0

R1 then did indeed become the DR on the Ethernet LAN because it was using
the default priority 1.

Now, finally to the question...... On the other side of the ISDN and across
the Frame Relay cloud, I couldn't see the Ethernet LAN in the routing
table. Routers formed adjacencies correctly and could reach most networks,
but not that darn Ethernet LAN. R1 and R2 on the Ethernet LAN formed an
adjacency and could see the rest of the internetwork.

Could I have broken something by playing with the priority??

Thanks for your help.

Priscilla

Priscilla Oppenheimer
http://www.priscilla.com