From: Priscilla Oppenheimer [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, February 04, 2002 6:06 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: OSPF DR problem [7:34379]

Remember, I think from a design point of view. I say "for some reason
there's an Area 2" because I think it's a bad design not because I was
surprised to see it there in the show output. ;-) But thanks for
replying,
because it made me question my expectations.

Here's what part of the network design looks like:

          ---R2---Area-1-ISDN----R8---Area-1-Ethernet

  Area 0  |
Ethernet |

          ---R1---Area-1-Frame Relay---R9---Area-2-Ethernet

When I did a "show ip route" on R9 and R8 I thought I would see the
Ethernet LAN in Area 0. That was not a logical expectation? I should
just
see a default route on ABRs?

Thanks.

Priscilla

At 07:09 PM 2/4/02, s vermill wrote:
>Priscilla Oppenheimer wrote:
> >
> > There was a virtual link. The virtual link was from R1 over to
> > another
> > router across the Frame Relay cloud. R1 is an ABR connecting
> > Area 0 and
> > Area 1. Area 0 is the Ethernet LAN. Area 1 is the Frame Relay
> > cloud. For
> > some unknown reason, there's an Area 2 also on the other side
> > of Area 1.
> > Does that ring a bell regarding any gotchas?
>
>Priscilla,
>
>There must be at least three areas involved in a virtual link.  So I am
>intrigued by the phantom area 2.  What area were you expecting to see
on the
>other side of area 1?  In your case, it seems as if the ABRs are
directly
>connected.  That is to say, the transit area is in essence a p-t-p
>connection.  That isn't always necessarily the case so I don't think
OSPF
>makes any kind of distinction.  As I understand it, the virtual
>connection/tunnel is treated like an unnumbered one.  So the network
>statements have to be in place for the transit area in both routers,
area 0
>in the backbone ABR, and the discontiguous area in the discontiguous
ABR.
>So that is the basis for my interest in your phantom area 2.
>
>Of course, this doesn't seem to be in any way related to why you
wouldn't be
>able to see the area 0 network across the ISDN connection.  The
interesting
>parallel is that virtual links and demand circuits are both treated the
>same.  That is, the DNA bit is set for routes learned via either one.
So is
>there anything in your setup not consistent with having DNA show up in
the
>topo table?  I can't imagine what but I have never tried anything like
your
>setup.
>
>Tough one!
>
>Scott