I did not mean to say without touching production network.

-keyur shah-

-----Original Message-----
From: nrf [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, February 05, 2002 5:27 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Long....RE: CCIE starting pay [7:33899]

If I may ask, why exactly is it a good thing that people can pass the lab
with just books, lab gear, and groupstudy, without ever having touched a
production network in his life?  This kind of thing is precisely the enabler
of all these lab-rat CCIE's that are starting to seriously water down the
prestige of the program.

""Keyur Shah""  wrote in message
> To add onto it...experience helps you support such networks and high
profile
> web sites and enterprise networks in real time, where downtime is
> counted
in
> minutes and sometimes in seconds. It is impossible to do clear ip bgp
> *
and
> get your bgp routes which one may do all the time while preparing in a
home
> lab.
>
> In my personal opinion, today it is possible to pass ccie lab by
> simply studying in home lab with all the help from books, lab
> workbooks,
bootcamps,
> home lab and group studies out there, which is very good thing. I am
> sure, it was not the case in 1998 when Paul B. (taking him as a
> example only) passed his test. I think cisco should remove some of the
> old technologies from the lab and add some of these cool real world
> scenarios to a
reasobale
> extent that John mentioned below. May be have candidates log to syslog
> and ask them that they can not type clear ip bgp more than twice in
> the whole lab. That will make candidates think from real world angle.
> That is just
an
> example, many such things come to mind.
>
> Impressive article John, you described ccie's day in real world very
> well.
>
> -Keyur Shah-
> CCIE# 4799 (Security; Routing and Switching)
> css1,scsa,scna,mct,mcse,cni,mcne Hello Computers
> "Say Hello to Your Future!"
> http://www.hellocomputers.com
> Toll-Free: 1.877.794.3556
> "Now offering CCIE Security Lab Workbook and remote bootcamp,
> http://www.hellocomputers.com/hellosuccess.html";

from
> another company and are running OSPF while half are running EIGRP and
> all areas need to be able to communicate with each other and also have
multiple
> redundant and area-diverse connections to different internet providers
using
> BGP...that is experience.  :-)
>
> Then, after a decision has been made to use a single IGP, make a
> choice between EIGRP and OSPF, or even IS-IS.  Justify your reasoning
> and then determine a migration plan that minimizes customer downtime
> and guarantees that all areas have internet access at all times even
> if their local provider goes down.
>
> Help the customer to coordinate with ARIN and service providers to get
> the necessary address space and an assigned autonomous system number.
>
> When a given area has multiple connections to the same ISP, attempt to
> influence routing in the ISP so that it takes the closest entrance
> into
your
> network for that user.  Attempt to influence routing within each ISP
> so
that
> you increase the chances that optimal routing will occur. Make certain
> that you only advertise the necessary prefixes while
filtering
> all others.  Configure routing within each area to take the closet
> exit possible, within reason.
>
> Provision and order the necessary circuits after getting quotes from
several
> providers.  Make a determination when and if point to point links
> could/should be used and where frame relay or ATM would be most
> suitable. Make sure that you have plenty of room for growth and enough
> bandwidth to support video conferencing over IP for certain sections
> of this network. Determine which type of traffic shaping, queueing,
> and/or rate limiting might be necessary and where it would be most
> useful.
>
> Upgrade routers and switches as necessary, making sure that you won't
> run into processor limitations during high traffic loads and you have
> enough
WIC
> and NM slots available to support the connections you require.  Make
> sure you select an IOS that supports those modules and software
> features you'll need....while minimizing the number of bugs that might
> affect you.
>
> Determine a backup plan for each area and include ISDN backup links,
making
> sure the backup links can pass both IP, IPX, and some DLSw+  but do
> not
pass
> streaming video and other non-essential traffic.  Create a network
> infrastructure disaster recovery plan for each area and document your
> procedures.
>
> And that's just the tip of the iceberg, and *that's* what I mean by
> experience.  Certainly, your experience doesn't need to be this
> comprehensive and detailed, I'm simply exaggerating to make a point.
> There is a *huge* difference between learning to configure this stuff
> at home and actually implementing it in the real world.
>
> Granted, this would be a huge task but it's one that a CCIE along with
> a group of engineers would be expected to be able to handle.  A
> CCIE--even a highly intelligent and motivated one--with no experience
> would have difficulty with this.
>
> John

> I have to jump in here.  The original post said he had an impressive
> lab.
If
> he uses the lab and works through scenarios, isn't this what the rest
> of
you
> are calling experience.  He doesn't get paid to do it, but he probably
would
> end up with more experience than some of the people that we all work
> with collecting a pay check.
>
> IMHO
> Dean Whitley
>
> p.s.
>
> Joe, from the sounds of your post and initiative to achieve all those
certs,
> I think a company would be foolish to not hire someone like you.

specialization