was it traversing two separate vendors by the time it hit the server?

I know with 3com and cisco, the defaults for rip and sap updates are
different.  3com defaults to update on change only...where cisco's defaults
are timed.  When you connect both vendors together, cisco will send updates
but 3com won't listen...and since 3com doesn't send updates, cisco with time
the values out and clear routes/saps...

-Patrick

>>> "Priscilla Oppenheimer"  02/05/02 03:25PM >>>
The server must be set with the non-standard 300 second timer also? That
would be my theory.

Priscilla

At 02:50 PM 2/5/02, Tom Martin wrote:
>Does anyone have any idea why this worked???  Setting the RIP and SAP
>timers on a __LAN__ link should have had no positive effect.  It seems
>like the only perceivable change would be the flapping of remote networks
>and servers -- assuming that the timers were not modified on the server
>also.
>
>Any thoughts???
>
>- Tom
>
>On Tue, 05 Feb 2002 13:21:55 -0500, Fraasch James wrote:
>
> > Ah, to be a network engineer!!! The fun!!!
> >
> > So here it is, 28 hours later I have fallen across the solution to the
> > problem I posted yesterday where people were not able to access an IPX
> > server.  Users were actually able to access it but for no more than a
> > few minutes at a time.
> >
> > Had to add the following command to interface that houses the server:
> >
> > interface TokenRing1/2
> >  mac-address 0200.1099.81ca
> >  ip address 172.25.71.200 255.255.255.0 ip directed-broadcast ipx
> >  encapsulation SNAP
> >  ipx network A040
> >  ipx update interval rip 300
> >  ipx update interval sap 300
> >  ring-speed 16
> >
> > IPX update intervals for rip and sap seem to have solved the problem.
> >
> > Thought you might want to know.
> >
> > Thanks for the help! Now lets just hope I keep my job! Just kidding, I
> > can blame it on only being with the company a few months. I'm the new
> > guy, I can make mistakes and not get in trouble....I think that's how it
> > works.
> >
> > James
> > misconduct and Nondisclosure violations to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
________________________

Priscilla Oppenheimer
http://www.priscilla.com
This email and any files transmitted with it may contain confidential and
/or proprietary information in the possession of WellStar Health System,
Inc. ("WellStar") and is intended only for the individual or entity to whom
addressed.  This email may contain information that is held to be
privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If
the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby
notified that any unauthorized access, dissemination, distribution or
copying of any information from this email is strictly prohibited, and may
subject you to criminal and/or civil liability. If you have received this
email in error, please notify the sender by reply email and then delete this
email and its attachments from your computer. Thank you.