From: Patrick Ramsey [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, February 07, 2002 11:03 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; Brian Zeitz
Subject: Re: 3DES [7:34754]

ya know... I'm not trying to shoot pix down...but for the small
office..I would not even go that route....Go netscreen.... they can do
NAT, transparent bridging, and normal firewalling and they are not
expensive.  (and a snap to set up)  Not to mention that they support
site to site or site to user vpns out of the box
practically...(extremely easy to set up!)

$.02

-Patrick

for what it's worth we use border manager, severeal netscreens and two
pix 535's in failover..  ;)

>>> "Brian Zeitz"  02/07/02 10:38AM >>>
I have been looking at routers/firewalls. I am thinking of going with
the 2611 with a ADSL card, I also want to get a 515. Our office is not
that big yet, but I want to plan for the future. I see that the Pix 515R
only does DES, but doesn't do 3DES. But when I buy the router, I can get
it with 3DES. I am just kinda confused, where is the best place to use
3DES, on the firewall, or on the router? Or it doesn't matter. The way I
see it, if I wanted to do 3DES on the firewall with the 515, I would
have to buy the 515UR, which is about 10K. I don't really need the
thoughput for 100,000 users just yet though. Any suggestions on this?

Thanks in advance...

Brian Zee MCSE, CCNA, A+
This email and any files transmitted with it may contain confidential
and /or proprietary information in the possession of WellStar Health
System, Inc. ("WellStar") and is intended only for the individual or
entity to whom addressed.  This email may contain information that is
held to be privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under
recipient, you are hereby notified that any unauthorized access,
dissemination, distribution or copying of any information from this
email is strictly prohibited, and may subject you to criminal and/or
civil liability. If you have received this email in error, please notify
the sender by reply email and then delete this email and its attachments
from your computer. Thank you.