IMHO the best place to do VPN termination is on a VPN Concentrator, but
there is obviously a not-too-insignificant cost involved there.  In fact, to
then do that right you would need another FW ... or atleast a FW with
multiple interfaces to route the VPN traffic through .

When possible, according to Layer 8 , I always try to make each
box do what it is really good at - i.e., routers route and firewalls block.

Given that this is not always an option, a router based 3DES VPN works fine
... but requires a couple of upgrades to support .  Barring any of those,
there is always the option
of stepping outside of Cisco products - but we don't like to talk about that

Thanks!
TJ

>>> "Brian Zeitz"  02/07/02 10:38AM >>>
I have been looking at routers/firewalls. I am thinking of going with
the 2611 with a ADSL card, I also want to get a 515. Our office is not
that big yet, but I want to plan for the future. I see that the Pix 515R
only does DES, but doesn't do 3DES. But when I buy the router, I can get
it with 3DES. I am just kinda confused, where is the best place to use
3DES, on the firewall, or on the router? Or it doesn't matter. The way I
see it, if I wanted to do 3DES on the firewall with the 515, I would
have to buy the 515UR, which is about 10K. I don't really need the
thoughput for 100,000 users just yet though. Any suggestions on this?

Thanks in advance...

Brian Zee MCSE, CCNA, A+

is unauthorized.