At 05:45 PM 2/21/02, s vermill wrote:

> > Well, a little messing around with the command line produced
> > this:
> >
> > p1r1(config-router)#metric ?
> >   holddown      Enable IGRP holddown
> >   maximum-hops  Advertise IGRP routes greater than  as
> > unreachable
> >   weights       Modify IGRP metric coefficients
> >

>However, setting the max-hops metric and then exceeding that value seems to
>cause routes to disappear - even if only running EIGRP.  So this appears to
>be a true-blue hop count limit for EIGRP.  Is it just me or does there seem
>to be a bit of inconsistency in the description and the functionality of
>this command?

I think the description is wrong in a couple ways. First of all, it
actually affects EIGRP too, not just IGRP. Secondly, it sounds like a RIP
sort of explanation where a router announces that a route is unreachable by
announcing a hop count of 16 (infinity). IGRP and EIGRP don't do that. They
announce that the delay is infinite. When they do this, they don't increase
the hop count.

If there were a loop, on the other hand, the hop count would increase.
Although that shouldn't happen, I think I remember hearing that it's one
more reason to have a hop count in IGRP and EIGRP. The protocol developers
were pretty paranoid about avoiding routing loops. If a router notices an
increasing hop count, it puts the route in holddown.

Now, I need some hops after this discussion! ;-)

Priscilla

>Note:  This appears to impact only incoming routes and not outgoing.  That
>makes sense I guess but just thought I would throw that out there.

Priscilla Oppenheimer
http://www.priscilla.com